Poverty

Poverty
Jakarta Slum Home

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

DAY ONE

Greetings friends, it is the very end of the first day of this challenge and I believe I owe a description of this project. First of all, forgive me for my lack of enthusiasm entering day one, I want this to be honoring to the Lord and not to my flesh... which brings me to state that I would be embarassed if I were to proclaim this a comparison to living in poverty (as I sit on my comfy bed, typing this on my very own computer that was freely given to me). Maybe I would get a feel for true poverty if I slept out on the street for the next six months and got all of my food by a means of dumpster diving, and I would be lying if I told you I wasnt up for that :). But this project is merely a time to recognize and pray for God's people whom He dearly loves, and my daily blogs will be combined with Sam's daily blogs and together we will turn our experiences into an essay. I also want to recognize that we are not necessarily spending a dollar a day to get food but eating one dollars' worth of food a day. So I bought a bag a rice which was about 2.50 but I can divide the cost by servings to find out the cost of what I am eating, this will make the comparison of a dollar a day here more accurate to a dollar a day in a third world country due to differences in cost of living. I dont want to bore you any longer with lagistics and I am excited for this adventure and the opportunity to share my heart with all of you(?)!

Today has been a reminder that the Lord becons me to come and drink the living water that HE provides and feed off His word. "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the riches of fare."-Isa 55:1-2

1 comment:

  1. I love that verse that you just shared! I love how God recognizes all the things we deal with...even our need for food and then turns it into our true need for Him! Keep on keeping on. I pray God shows you his purposes. Love you!-Julie

    ReplyDelete